Friday 3 February 2012

Blossom - WOAH!

There's always that one TV programme you remember from being young, one you remember so fondly you wish it could have carried on forever.

For me that was definitely Blossom. My best friend has never seen Blossom, I always forget this fact and everytime we see something to do with Beaches, for example the music video to Wind Beneath my Wings, I always shout "Oh, did you used to watch Blossom?!" The answer is always "No Kayleigh, how many times!!" I must explain for all of you not in the know, Mayim Bialik, the actress who played Blossom also played the young CC Bloom (Bette Midler) in Beaches.

Only recently, after watching her for a whole series did I realise that the actress playing Amy Farrah Fowler in my new favourite TV programme - The Big Bang Theory - who I always thought looked just like Blossom actually IS Blossom, well actually is Mayim Bialik.

After realising this I decided to see if I could watch episodes of Blossom on the internet, boy can I! Some lovely person has uploaded every single episode onto YouTube for my viewing pleasure. I have 12 episodes left of the whole five series that were made, and i'm even more in love with Blossom than I ever was.
For those of you who never watched Blossom, it was quite unique, and way ahead of its time. It was filmed and aired in the early 1990's, and featured a single parent family, only the single parent was the dad, Nick - a musician, the mum, Maddie had ran off to Paris to sing in clubs leaving her husband to look after their three children; Anthony - a recovering addict, Joey - a lovable, yet incredibly stupid jock, and Blossom - the star of the show, smart and funny, and growing up in a house full of men with only her fast talking best friend Six to talk to about 'girl stuff'

It was funny and sweet like an American sitcom should be but it covered real issues like divorce, drink and drug problems, sex, first loves and getting your first period!!

But what really stood out for me was the fashion! Costume Designer Sherry Thompson was also way ahead of her time, dressing the characters, Mainly Blossom and Six in vintage clothes, which now is something growing more common every day but 20 years ago, teenage girls wearing vintage clothing was almost unheard of!

As I said, i'm almost finished re-watching every single episode of Blossom and I have to admit I would wear 90% of the outfits the girls wore on this show today. From Blossom's skirt made from ties to Six's purple cowboy boots. The fashion was amazing on Blossom, but don't take my word for it, see for yourselves!


 And ok, ok it wasn't just the fashion we watched it for, Joey Lawrence (Joey) and Michael Stoyanov (Anthony) were part of the attraction!

No comments:

Post a Comment